Lunatics.TV Forum | Official Forum for "Lunatics!" Series Production

Translating "Silver Star Satellites"

Open forum for people interested in Lunatics! Production.
Forum rules
Post here if you are interested in contributing, or just want to find out what we do. Posts are allowed from any registered user. Read the Announcements->Forum Rules for general standards on posting. If you are interested in becoming more involved in the production, this is the place to start. Please introduce yourself!

Translating "Silver Star Satellites"

Postby aleksejrs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:50 am

From http://lunatics.tv/characters.html
"She is also founder and part owner of Sputniki Zvezda Serebryaniy (Silver Star Satellites)."

"Sputniki Zvezda Serebryaniy" is clearly a transliteration of "Спутники Звезда Серебряный", which is not meaningful in Russian:
  • All words are in the nominative case,
  • "Спутники" is plural (masculine) noun,
  • "Звезда" is feminine singular noun,
  • "Серебряный" is masculine singular adjective.
Also, todays Russian does not capitalize every word of a title.
aleksejrs

Re: Translating "Silver Star Satellites"

Postby aleksejrs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 am

I am likely not good at all at making or evaluating company names, and anything I can make that can be called an unabbreviated translation of "Silver Star Satellites" does not sound to me as a company name. I don't think Engilsh-Russian translation of phrases like that (made to sound good in English, but not say much about the company) is how most company names are made.
aleksejrs

Postby Terry Hancock » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:05 am

Okay. Thanks!

I'm not too surprised by this, since that is one we have not put through a proofreading/review process yet (well -- until now!).

What would be most helpful, though, is an alternative to use.

We could for example, simply focus on the "Silver Star" (i.e. "a star symbol that is [made of] silver") part, since that is part of the logo/concept ("satellites" being what they make).

Of course, you're right that the transliteration in English is part of how the name came about, but the name also falls into a general category of describing a graphic device, not unlike "White Star" or "Gold Seal". I can't say whether that's a particularly Russian way to name a company or not.
Terry Hancock

Postby aleksejrs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:53 pm

There is so much stuff called "Silver Star" in English, and the Russian article is about a few things, all about English phrases.

Some known Russian companies actually use English names, sometimes transliterated. So something like "Сильверстар" or "Сильвер Стар"/"Сильвер стар" in that part should be OK.
aleksejrs

Return to Community